Developing the right mindset is crucial for succeeding at anything in life. Bodybuilding and fitness are no different. You need to change your mindset in order to succeed.
What is Mindset Anyway?
Your mindset is the sum of all your knowledge. It includes beliefs and thoughts about the world and where you fit in it. It is your filter you use for information both in and out. Mindset determines how you receive and process information.
It’s often used for a specific part in your life, as in “the mindset of a champion” or “the growth mindset”. Having the right mindset for what you go for is often the biggest factor in whether or not you succeed.
Developing the right mindset is the way of learning something new and stripping out the most relevant information. You develop the beliefs that are most helpful for where you want to go or how you want to be. This belief-system is called your mindset.
A good mindset will reflect reality and will help you, but not in that order. I think the order has to be like this:
Find the beliefs that are most supportive
Check if the beliefs are in harmony with (a potential) reality
You want to use your mindset to make a positive change. That’s why your beliefs don’t necessarily have to reflect your current reality. But of course the reality you believe in should be possible. That’s like a catch-22, but not really.
If you believe “I am a successful bodybuilder”, you will act in that way.
If you believe “I want to be a successful bodybuilder”, you will act in this way too: like you are NOT a successful bodybuilder.
I personally found adopting beliefs that seem slightly out of reach is very powerful. It changes your mindset and therefore how you behave. It let’s you grow.
How Do You Change Your Mindset?
- Get Only the Best Information. Your job is to find the best information about what you want to accomplish and then focus on learning only that information.
- Use Only the Best People as Role Models. Find the best people in the are you want to accomplish things and model your behavior after their behavior.
- Take a Close Look at Your Current Beliefs. You have to determine what changes are required. You do this by taking a critical look at your current beliefs. Look for and change self-limiting beliefs.
- Shape Your Mindset with Vision and Goals. Create a vision that describes your end result. Once you have that, break your vision into goals. Now go to work achieving those goals.
- Protect Your Mindset. Don't allow other people to shake your confidence. Protect your belief system from the negative people in this world.
Changing your mindset will help you lose weight, gain muscle, get stronger, etc. It works. Give it a shot!