When we think of training, most of us will say it is hard to fit a workout in. These tips for how to maximize your workouts should help. I have used all of them at one point or another and can tell you that when done with focus you can really maximize your time in the gym.
- Keep your workouts to 45 minutes in length. Many people think that the longer you spend in the gym the better, but that is not true. Research has shown that shorter training sessions are better.At the one hour mark the level of cortisol in your body will rise. This is not desireable. Keep your training sessions short and intense.
- Switch to high intensity training. As my regular readers are aware, I am a big fan of Arthur Jones’ HIT training, but that is not the piont of this tip. Here I am referring to keeping yout rest periods shorter. You should be out of breath as you train. This will add a cardio element to your training and that will help maximize the time you spend in the gym
- Make sure to have adequate protein intake. Intense weight sessions require a higher level of protein intake. Be sure you are getting enough protein in your diet and you will see the benefits when in the gym.
- Stay hydrated. Make sure you drink enough water. Studies have shown that even a slight amount of dehydration will decrease your level of performance in the gym.
- Squeeze your muscles as you lift. Make sure that you are getting a good squeeze both up and down. This will increase the benefit of the exercise.
- Use HIT training. This time I am referring to High Intensity Training from Arthur Jones. This method just works. You do one warm up set for a body part and then do 1 set of each exercise to failure. You generally train full body in this method. You take the one set of each exercise to total failure. Be sure to track your weight and repetitions and each session try to increase one or both variables.
If you want to maximize your workouts give these tips a try. If you have a tip that is not included here, please feel free to comment below.