We all experience it. The need for regaining focus in our fitness and bodybuilding lifestyle. Things happen to derail us along the way and regaining focus becomes a priority. These are the steps to regaining focus.
- Realize that you have truly lost focus. Like trying to kick an addiction, coming to a clear realization that you have lost focus is one key to successfully regaining focus. Armed with the understanding that you need to get busy regaining focus, the next steps that follow will be much easier.
- Reevaluate where you are at. Regaining focus doesn't always mean just doing what you were doing before. Depending upon how long it has been since your focus was crystal clear, your goals might be quite different. Take the time to reevaluate where you currently stand. Validate that your goals are still relevant at this stage of your life.
- Change your goals as required. After completing step 3, be sure to change your goals as required by the knowledge you've gained about yourself. Make sure they are SMART goals that will lead you to strong results.
- Break your goals down into baby steps. Baby steps are the key to regaining focus. You might well have lost focus all at once due to some life event, but regaining focus won't happen as quickly. You will want to attack things in bite-sized pieces that you are capable of chewing. Sometimes regaining focus takes time and baby steps are going to give you that time.
- Reward yourself along the way. Remember that waiting a long period of time before getting a reward for successfully regaining focus is not going to keep you motivated long term. Assign milestones and then reward yourself for successfully reaching them.
- Keep building momentum. As you get back to the mission of regaining focus you will gain momentum slowly. Stay with that and the momentum will continually build. This is the desired result.
- Don't let small setbacks take you off course. I have been on a mission to regain focus and have even had one 4 day illness that kept me out of the gym. Instead of losing myself in the little setbacks, I simply jumped back on the wagon immediately after I was feeling better. You need to do the same. Don't let the small setbacks dictate your response to them. You have control over all of that.
- Enjoy the newly discovered focus. When you make an attempt at regaining focus it feels wonderful. Enjoy your new focus. You deserve it and have earned it.
I recently did a podcast on regaining focus that you should listen to. In it I describe some of the challenges to regaining focus. I hope you enjoy and that your focus is renewed and even more powerful than previously thought possible.