Everyone who trains for competition has had to deal with how to overcome excuses at one time or another. This is really a mental attitude topic and one that can be very difficult to deal with. I have 5 tips for dealing with and overcoming excuses.
- Schedule workouts like an appointment. Working out should not be an option, it should be something you do just like any other important appointment. I am sure you would not flake out on a date with your wife or husband, so why flake out on an appointment with yourself? Put your training plan in your calendar and then stick to it. Don't change the appointment for anyone or anything.
- Plan your training in advance. Always head into the gym with a plan in mind. It is best to take your training journal (you do keep one, right?) and write your workout plan down before even going to the gym. This gives you something that you need to do/accomplish while at the gym and mentally that will give you more motivation to get it completed.
- Do your training at a time when nothing else can get in the way. I workout in the early morning because nothing else can get in my way. My only challenge is getting up. Once that is handled the rest is easy. I can then avoid issues in life that cause roadblocks on the way to my training sessions.
- Get a training partner. It is rare that two people will flake on the same workout. Just get a workout partner and you will know someone is waiting for you at the gym and you will complete the workout. It is harder to disappoint someone else than it is to disappoint yourself.
- Get your rest! Many times we make excuses because our body is exhausted. Be sure you are getting sufficient rest. Training for a competition can be grueling, but you still need adequate rest.
I believe it is possible to overcome your excuses, but you have to exercise some discipline in order to do so. What ideas do you have for overcoming excuses? Share them in the comments below.